How To Cook Rice In A Steamer: The Benefits And How To
The steamer is a kitchen gadget that is used to cook food in a closed vessel by steaming over a pot of boiling water. If you do not have one, then the Best Asian Rice Cooker is ideal for this task. It is an alternative to the traditional cooking style as it results in less food wastage and more flavour as compared to traditional cooking. The steamer’s moist heat and steam pressure will bring out the sweetness and subtle flavours of the dishes.
What is the purpose of cooking rice in a steamer?
Traditional rice cooker recipes always involve multiple stages of preparation and serve to make a meal rather than to simply cook rice in a bowl. A steamer is not just for cooking rice, as you can cook rice dishes in the steamer to the accompaniment of the steam, hence less water is used, less time is spent and more flavours are involved.
How to cook rice in a rice cooker:
In a traditional rice cooker, steam conditions are determined by the base of the cooker. In a rice steamer, steam conditions are regulated by the base and lid of the cooker. Therefore, a rice cooker is great as a cooking tool for some delicate, aromatic dishes whereas a steam pressure cooker is essential for stronger, hardier ones.
How to steam rice efficiently in a steamer
The rice needs to be steam cooked on a high heat for a few minutes to be edible and delicious. The simple method to steam rice in a steamer is by putting a cup of water in the vessel and putting some soaked or blanched rice in it. The steamed rice is made even more aromatic with the addition of any seasonings such as ginger, garlic and thyme leaves. However, the steamed rice should be the desired size of around 1/3rd to 1/2 of a cup.
The best part is that the starchy rice can be replaced with cassava and bhindi. Since both are readily available in the market, you don’t need to worry about missing out on rice or being restricted on its flavours. You can make a variety of cuisines at home and enjoy the rice using various combinations such as pumpkin, eggplant, brinjal and green peppers.
Benefits of cooking rice in a steamer
The steamer is a kitchen gadget that is used to cook food in a closed vessel by steaming over a pot of boiling water. It is the best method of cooking rice because it maximises the flavour and texture of the cooked rice. It is not only faster but also healthier compared to traditional methods of cooking rice. The steamer can be used to cook different types of rice.
Tips to cook rice in a steamer
Rice can be cooked in a steamer for one and a half to two minutes. After that, the rice should be kept covered in the steam chamber. This will preserve its quality and healthiness. One should try to avoid being greedy with rice and consuming it in large quantities.
Make sure that the steamer is clean and that there is no food left in the bottom.
Tips for cooking rice in a steamer
• Ensure that the rice is well drained before cooking. This will help to prevent excess water from the cooked rice to spill out of the pot and to retain more of the flavour of the cooked rice.
• In addition to the rice, add oil, garlic, and chicken stock to the pot before putting the lid on the pot and putting it on the stove.
• Turn the heat to medium to bring up the heat on the rice and boil. Once it boils, use the tongs to transfer the rice into the steamer.
• Once the rice is done cooking, turn off the heat and let it sit for around 10 minutes to cool down.
• In a bowl, mix the cooked rice with the flavours you have added to the pot before eating the rice. This makes it a lot easier to eat.
• This is also the time to drain the excess water from the rice after cooking.